||[Jan. 26th, 2012|09:53 pm]
You know, I should actually update you on what I've been up to. I don't have much time to do so, because I took on too much (I know, be surprised), but I do care about you guys and want you to know how I'm doing. Also I keep forgetting to tell celli two of the things I've been up to and I bet she'll think they're cool.|
You will understand why I have been so absent when I explain, too. :D
1. My dance teacher / dance company leader taught at a dance studio that has since closed. She decided to open her own studio, which I thought was awesome, and as the resident unemployed person, I did a lot of the legwork involved. I researched incorporating it as a nonprofit, wrote the Articles of Incorporation and am one of its incorporators; I also did things like sand the floor, wash the fireplace, etc. I'm serving as its treasurer, which means I am going to be responsible for handling its finances. We opened January 15th. I would link to the site but one of my jobs within the next week is to reorganize it and add new content.
2. I'm still part of the dance company. We meet Tuesday evenings, and we'll be performing next (I think) Saturday, February 11 at the Saloon for SlutFreeze 2012-- a benefit for SlutWalk, which is basically a new iteration of Take Back The Night. Details are here if you're interested.
3. I'm part of a women's choir that is pretty awesome. We meet every Wednesday evening, and I made some really cool friends through it. I guess I made friends with mendeia through the awesome band that I'm still in (and the mysterious fifth member has returned, which i am still really not used to!) We have a concert coming up on... February 4. Details are here if you're interested.
4. I'm applying to business schools still. I already applied for my top-choice school and figure it is very unlikely I'll get in. I have two deadlines coming up in the next week. I am not really happy with any of the essays I've written.
5. I have two articles to write for China Insight by yesterday. I am done with 1.2 of them.
6. I am taking Statistics and Accounting classes. I really wish I weren't so busy right now, because they are REALLY COOL. I like math. I had forgotten that before I started studying for the GMAT, because I associated it so strongly with failure. I like knowing how to organize things so they make sense, which is a lot of what accounting seems to be about so far. I have Statistics homework due by tomorrow.
Those are all the really interesting things I've been up to. Which, actually, feels a little better, because it looks like only six things the way I organized it, even if some numbers include multiple things.
I also have some absolute heroes who helped me so much with this application process and I want to do proper nice things for them. I cannot wait until a week from now, when most of this pressure is off.
At this rate MAYBE I WILL EVENTUALLY BE ABLE TO WRITE YOU TAXFIC. *priorities*
Seriously, though, I did not expect to find accounting as interesting as I do.
OH. That reminds me! If you feel like answering a curiosity question. We're studying balance sheets, and I had no idea how/if donation of material goods would fit onto those sheets, since it's a unilateral rather than a bilateral transaction and since there's no way to estimate the value of the goods based on how much you paid for them. My professor didn't seem to know: do you?
hmmm. now i am curious about both. do I have to pick one? :D if i do and you know about both, nonprofit.
And I would be thrilled to have you! ♥